Thursday, August 22, 2013

Q+A with Chef Michael Smith



Q+A With Chef Michael Smith
June 23, 2013
Eclectic Kitchen Asks:

1- How would you describe your own creative process? 

For me, I think it's all about seeing, touching, smelling and being with my ingredients. 
In particular, it makes me feel responsible when I know the producers. 

2- When did you know you first wanted to be a chef? 

I had bought a new car in Arts school, and had to pay for it so I got a job… The easiest job to get is to work in a restaurant so I did the classic dishwashing thing. Three or four days in I realized the cooks were having way more fun than the dishwashers so I promoted myself to cook and went from there

He also added that he was 19 at the time, studying graphic design in Arts school. 

3 - What is one thing in your kitchen that you can't live without? 

My kids. I love the kids in the kitchen. And salt and pepper. 

4- What is one food trend you wish would end?

Foam. 

5 - If you had to eat one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be? (I then welcomed Canadiana Baked Lentils as a possible item for that list)

A good garden fresh salad. I love my veggies. 

6- What do you say to the kids to get them to the dinner table? 

Dinner. Sit down. 

7- What do you think is the most under appreciated and under used ingredient in Canada? 

Lentils. We grow the world's best lentils right here in Canada.

8- What should every Canadian be growing in their garden, window garden?

Something. Anything. Whatever works for you, just do it. And get your kids involved. 

9- When you aren't travelling, does your family meal plan in advance?

On the fly. I'm really no good at meal planning. When I go to the grocery store I buy everything I see. 

10- Who is your favourite super hero?

The Newteen Titans. Every comic book collector will know exactly who I'm talking about. 

11 - If you could have anyone in the world cook you dinner, who would it be? 

My grandfather. I never met him but as I get older my mom tells me more and more that I am my grandfather. 

12 - Have you always had awesome hair? :)

He chuckled and said no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment